July 28th-30th 2023
Join us on a pilgrimage into the outback Murchison region of Western Australia and encounter John Cyril Hawes Priest and Architect.
John Hawes began his ministry as a Catholic Priest in Australia in Mt Magnet and he designed his first residential building in Australia for Melangata Station near Yalgoo.
You will engage with the local communities and property owners, as well as facilitate your own mental and spiritual wellness.
Cost $450 per person
(includes $50 non refundable Administration Fee).
Read Liability Waiver for Refund Policy
Limit of 40 people
Preference will be given in order of payment of Registration
If you are visiting Geraldton for the event, click here for a list of accommodation options.
Enquiries: Gerry (0417 912 997) email@example.com
Proposed Itinerary (Updated 6th July 2023)
- 9:00 a.m. Check in, Sign Liability Waiver, Receive Passport, walk the labyrinth at St Francis Xavier Cathedral in Geraldton
- Board luxury 49 seater coach for drive to the site of Hawes first posting in Western Australia, Mt Magnet (340 kms)
- Stop at Yalgoo Arts & Cultural Centre for lunch (provided) with tea and coffee available for purchase (bring cash).
- Arrive Mt Magnet mid afternoon
- Check into camping accommodation at the Catholic Precinct in Mt Magnet (light refreshments provided)
- Meet in St Brigid's Church for welcome and presentation of Shells.
- Travel by coach to take in the sunset in the beautiful bush setting at The Granites .
- Return to Mt Magnet for dinner
- Optional Mass in St Brigid's Church Mt Magnet
- Cooked breakfast & Muesli supplied at Catholic Precinct
- Prepare lunches
- Depart by coach for Dalgaranga Station to walk to Melangata Station Camp Site
- Lunch Stop at Tank
- Set Up Camp Accommodation
- Stamping of Passports
- Walk through homestead
- 3 course wholesome home cooked dinner prepared by Station owner and cook extraordinaire Jo Clews and served in the Shearing Shed.
- Fire Pit /Socialising/Beds
- Camper Trailer next to Fire Pit with Tea/Coffee making facilities.
- Optional Sunrise Mass at Melangata Station Camp Site
- Breakfast of Bacon & Eggg Sandwiches and Muesli will be served at Melangata
- Depart Melangata by coach
- Arrive at Jokers Tunnel Turn Off.
- Commence walk through Joer's Tunnel (optional) towards Badja Woolshed Road
- Sausage Sizzle lunch en route
- Arrive at St Hyacinth's Chapel Yalgoo for Damper, Stamping of Passports and presentation of Camino certificates
- Depart Yalgoo by coach for return to Geraldton by approximately 7:30 p.m.
- Ringing of Cathedral Bells on arrival
- Luxury 49 seater Coach Travel between venues
- Lunch daily with fruit
- Dinner Friday and Saturday
- Breakfast Saturday and Sunday
- Pilgrim's Shell and Passport
- Transportation of luggage and equipment
- Indoor and Outdoor Basic Camping facilities at Mt Magnet Catholic Precinct (house and church hall with verandahs) and Melangata Station Stay (shearing shed/shearing quarters/cook house). Shared bathroom facilities at both venues.
NOTE: Melangata Station Stay offers alternative accommodation at your own cost if you would like to upgrade.
Click here to see options and costs. This must be arranged directly with the Station owner and there will be no refund on your camping accommodation cost.
- Walkers will be accompanied on most sections of the walk by a Portaloo and support vehicle. This can't be guaranteed for all sections.
- Water will be supplied along the route.
- Hi Vis Vests
- Sleeping/camping equipment