July 28th-30th 2023
Join us on a pilgrimage into the outback Murchison region of Western Australia and encounter John Cyril Hawes Priest and Architect.
John Hawes began his ministry as a Catholic Priest in Australia in Mt Magnet and he designed his first residential building in Australia for Melangata Station near Yalgoo.
You will engage with the local communities and property owners, as well as facilitate your own mental and spiritual wellness.
Cost $450 per person
(includes $50 non refundable Administration Fee).
Read Liability Waiver for Refund Policy
Limit of 40 people
Preference will be given in order of payment of Registration
If you are visiting Geraldton for the event, click here for a list of accommodation options.
Enquiries: Gerry (0417 912 997) firstname.lastname@example.org
See Past Caminos
Proposed Itinerary (subject to change)
- 9:30 a.m. Check in, have Passport stamped and walk the labyrinth at St Francis Xavier Cathedral in Geraldton
- Board luxury 49 seater coach for drive to the site of Hawes first posting in Western Australia, Mt Magnet (340 kms)
- Stop at Yalgoo for picnic lunch (provided)
- Arrive Mt Magnet mid afternoon
- Check into camping accommodation at the Catholic Precinct in Mt Magnet
- Meet in St Brigid's Church for welcome and presentation of Shells.
- Travel by coach to take in the sunset in the beautiful bush setting at The Granites .
- Return to Mt Magnet for dinner
- Breakfast supplied at Catholic Precinct
- Collect packed lunch before departure by coach to drop off point near Dalgaranga Station to walk approximately 20 kms to Melangata Station Camp Site
- Set up camp/accommodation
- Tour of homestead followed by Mass in Homestead Chapel
- 3 course wholesome home cooked dinner under the stars prepared by Station owner and cook extraordinaire Jo Clews
- Depart Melangata by coach
- Arrive at Noongal Station for breakfast and tour of the homestead
- Depart Noongal by coach and drive to drop off point for 20kms walk to Yalgoo
- Sausage sizzle supplied along the route
- Arrive at St Hyacinth's Chapel Yalgoo for presentation of Camino certificates
- Depart Yalgoo by coach for return to Geraldton approximately 6:30 p.m.
- Luxury 49 seater Coach Travel between venues
- Lunch daily with fruit
- Dinner Friday and Saturday
- Breakfast Saturday and Sunday
- Pilgrim's Shell and Passport
- Transportation of luggage and equipment
- Indoor and Outdoor Basic Camping facilities at Mt Magnet Catholic Precinct (house and church hall with verandahs) and Melangata Station Stay (shearing shed/shearing quarters/cook house). Shared bathroom facilities at both venues.
NOTE: Melangata Station Stay offers alternative accommodation at your own cost if you would like to upgrade.
Click here to see options and costs. This must be arranged directly with the Station owner and there will be no refund on your camping accommodation cost.
- Walkers will be accompanied on most sections of the walk by a Portaloo and support vehicle. This can't be guaranteed for all sections.
- Water will be supplied along the route.
- Hi Vis Vests
- Sleeping/camping equipment