St Mary Star of the Sea Carnarvon
Drawings were completed in 1934 to replace a church built in 1901.
This Church was designed by Hawes in Inter-War Romanesque style and due to the lack of local stone, it was built of locally manufactured concrete blocks with a corrugated iron (originally fibrous cement) roof. A Perth builder, E Bello of Maylands, was responsible for the construction of the church and he shipped the short lengths of corrugated iron for the roof via the State Coastal Shipping Service. The cross on the peak of the church tower is the work of Wilfred Priestner, a renowned metal craftsman, whose work featured in many of Hawes' buildings.
Hawes did not have a good relationship with the local priest Fr McKay during the design phase of this church and often spoke of being physically and emotionally drained and in need of a break.
The completed church was blessed and opened by Bishop James O’Collins on 10th November 1935.
Play the Audio Tour
Visiting the building
The Church is located at 2 Rushton St Carnarvon. It is not open to the public.
Enquiries Phone: 9941 1768
Saturday 7:00 p.m.
Sunday 9:00 a.m.