Hawes had taken up a junior curacy at this church in 1903 at the recommendation of Bishop Hornby. The vicar at the time was a friend of Hornby's - Edward Vincent Eyre. Eyre had an intense love for the Pope and everything Roman, and Hawes believed that it was the Vicar who taught him the principles of Catholicism.
This Church of The Holy Redeemer suited Hawes as it had, and still has today, all the trappings of a Catholic church - 3 altars. confessionals, stations of the cross , statues, vestments and incense. It was designed by John D Sedding.
Despite his doubts about Anglicism Hawes went on to be ordained a priest on the 2nd October 1904. He spent the night before he said his first Mass, prostrate before the altar of The Holy Redeemer.
The Holy Redeemer suited Hawes not only because of it's architecture and leaning towards 'Catholicism', but also it's situation. The slums of Clerkenwell were as bad as any in London and Hawes was able to live out his Franciscan ideals, living among the people and sharing in their poverty.
It appears that Hawes' architectural skills were also put to use during his time at The Holy Redeemer. He lists the Clergy House and Campanile as buildings designed by him, but there's some conjecture as to whether his designs were actually used as other sources list Henry Wilson as the architect.
During this visit, the scene was set for the Pilgrims' discovery of the man who had started his clerical career in this church, with an enlightening and informative talk by a former judge turned local historian Mr Nicholas Riddell. He spoke not only on Hawes and his time at Holy Redeemer, but also gave an insight into the difficulties and controversies in the Church during the time of Hawes.